Saturday, October 15, 2016

Meeting Standards Through Play

"Play is often talked about as if it were a relief from serious learning. But for children, play is serious learning. Play is really the work of childhood."

~Fred Rogers



State standards have been around for a long time. As a kindergarten teacher, I feel it is my job to find a way to help the children learn the standards in a way that matches their intellectual, emotional and social development. One way to do this is through play-based learning experiences. 


When I set up Discovery Time areas, I try to balance provocations which build the 21st Century skills of creativity, problem solving, collaboration and critical thinking with those that offer opportunities to explore and learn the kindergarten state standards children are required to master. The latter are the ones I am featuring here, along with an explanation of the focus standards they could help develop.




Possible Focus Standards

  • I can count, with or without objects, to at least 31.
  • I can count, with or without objects, backward from 20.
  • I can read the numerals from 0 to at least 31.
  • I can write the numerals from 0 to at least 31.
  • I can find a number that is 1 more or 1 fewer than a given number.
  • I can compare and order whole numbers, with and without objects, from 0-20.



Possible Focus Standards

  • I can observe and compare plants and animals.
  • I can observe and describe things in nature and compare my observations and descriptions with others.
  • I can sort objects by color, size, shape and texture and explain why I sorted that way.
  • I can name the parts of lots of different plants and animals, even humans.


Possible Focus Standards

  • I can recognize the following 3-D shapes: cylinder, cone, sphere and cube.
  • I can use basic shapes and spatial reasoning to model objects in the real world.


Possible Focus Standards

  • I can identify, create, complete and extend simple patterns.

You can't see them, but there are letters buried in
the leaves.


Possible Focus Standards

  • I can name all the upper- and lowercase letters of the alphabet.

No comments:

Post a Comment