Thursday, August 4, 2016

The Third Teacher: The Big Reveal


I am extremely excited about my classroom makeover!  Using what I have learned from research (see "Inspiration" post here) and from reading the blog posts of other teachers who believe the classroom can function as the third teacher, I have come up with a design I am excited to share.  In my very first blog post (see "The Third Teacher" post here), I posted pictures of my what my classroom looked like midway through last year.  If you look back at those pictures and then at the pictures below, you will see the transformation.  


My goal was to create a calm, homey setting that invites students to wonder, discover, learn and explore.  I can't wait for the students to arrive (a month away yet, unfortunately) and for us to share this space together!



view as you enter the classroom


cupboards in cubby area where children's family pictures will hang

large group learning area

science table with color provocation

part of construction area

second part of construction area and documentation bulletin board


armoire (filled with books)

freshly painted wall and shelf storage area

sand and water table

art area with self portrait provocation

art easels

mirror and plant

take apart area and weaving loom

hanging branch

self-selected snack area

part of writing area and light tablets (on left)

second part of writing area

quiet reading area

student cubby area

bamboo door curtain (one of my favorite new things)

student browsing boxes with fountain

quiet reading area

quiet reading area

quiet reading area

Looking out from quiet reading area

teacher table 

math provocation area

bathroom

bathroom

view from art area

view into room from discovery area

dramatic play area

2 comments:

  1. You've done a beautiful transformation! Love it! I'm curious, are you in a public school system?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Yes, I am in a public school system: Grades K-4.

      Delete