Friday, June 10, 2016

Inspiration

Waiting has never been my strong suit, so the time it will take for my room to be cleaned and ready so I can begin my classroom transformation will be agonizing! Fortunately, I have invested in some great books, including this one pictured here.



The three things I love most about this book are the beautiful color photographs that fill nearly every page, the specific ideas given for adding elements to enhance learning spaces and the seven principles of design that the book is centered around.  Oh, and the quotes sprinkled throughout the book are pretty amazing as well!


As I plan ways for my classroom to become the third teacher, layout and aesthetics are at the forefront.  I want to create a space that is not only functional, yet homey, but which invites students to wonder, explore, think and create. And, since I teach kindergarten, I want an environment which stimulates the senses. I find myself looking through this book again and again, finding inspiration within its pages.  The seven principles of design were eye opening for me and not something I had considered before for a classroom.  I am including a summary of what I learned about each of them. Words in quotations are straight from the authors: Jessica Deviney, Sandra Duncan, Sara Harris, Mary Ann Rody and Lois Rosenberry.


Principle 1: Nature Inspires Beauty

The key here is bringing the outside in.  This will provide sensory experiences for the children and will also "convey a sense of calmness and tranquility for both children and adults." The authors suggest creative ways to display natural elements such as plants, rocks, seashells, twigs, etc. For example, hanging items from a tension rod in a window, setting large natural elements like tree stumps right on the floor, suspending things from the ceiling (if your school allows it), displaying things on the wall and placing natural materials on a table for children to examine.  They also remind us to that having a variety of natural elements is important as well, including things from the meadow, beach and woods; different types of minerals; metals; and items made from natural materials, such as cork tiles, pottery, glass beads and wicker baskets. Lastly, the authors remind us to keep the senses in mind, being sure to include sounds, such as a trickling waterfall and smells such as fresh fruits and herbs.


Principle 2: Color Generates Interest

"Color can be powerful in both positive and negative ways.  It can evoke feelings and emotions, give importance to areas or objects, define spaces, and reflect children's homes or communities.  Sometimes, however, color can have a negative effect.  Using many colors in a classroom results in a chaotic feeling because it is too visually stimulating. Also, keep in mind the intensity of the colors in the classroom.  Bright yellows, reds, and blues can overwhelm children's emotional well-being, so use primary colors conservatively."  Yikes!  It is a good thing I got rid of the overkill of primary colors in my classroom!


The authors recommend using complementary or split complementary colors and looking for color ideas from our surroundings, such as nature, fashion, restaurants, furnishings, and artwork.


Principle 3: Furnishings Define Space

We can use the classroom furnishings we have to define learning spaces in the classroom.  This book has some wonderful ideas for creating different areas of the classroom, even when the space is limited. They remind us that, "it is important that everything in your classroom has a purpose, contributes to children's learning, and is aesthetically pleasing." I really took their ideas to heart and got rid of numerous items that were not serving any purpose in my classroom.  I feel so much better and my room looks much more open and inviting.  Another thing I learned from this book is the importance of providing a designated place for quiet reflection and alone time away from the classroom's busy areas.  One of the most important take-aways from this section of the book is the importance of providing authentic materials for children to interact with so that "children's play experiences mirror real life."  The book gives specific ideas for authenticating the home-living, block, art, science, music, library, and communications areas in the classroom.  So many great ideas!


Principle 4: Texture Adds Depth

I never gave much thought to the importance of paying attention to texture experiences within the classroom. According to the authors we should "Encourage children to explore textures to gain a new understanding of the world around them." We can accomplish this by having the children weave and then displaying their creations, layering multiple textures, infusing visual textures in the classroom, including recycled textures such as cork and plastics and creating tactile experiences in the sensory table. Again. there are some amazing photographs depicting the use of texture in the classroom environment included in this book.  In fact, I finally realized why our school has these metal structures with holes in them attached to walls in different parts of our building.  They are there to provide a sense of texture in our hallways.  Who would have known?!


Principle 5: Displays Enhance Environment

Children love to collect things. Displaying their found materials in the classroom is not only visually appealing to them, but it provides students with materials they can use to sort, examine, and create.  The authors spend a great deal of time explaining how we can display and organize these collections in our classrooms so they are not only aesthetically pleasing, but so they reflect the values of the students and the culture.  Using neutral-colored bins and baskets or transparent containers allow the materials to be the focus. Consider using blank spaces between objects on shelves as well. Finally, the authors include some fantastic ideas for unique storage that you may not think of yourself--at least I never did!


Principle 6: Elements Heighten Ambiance

Use light to illuminate and to allow children to explore the mystery of shadows.  Transparency is key to capturing as much light as possible.  Also, appealing to the senses by playing soft, soothing music and including a variety of delightful scents will add to the ambiance of the classroom.  You must read the book yourself to truly capture all the wonderful ways elements can add to the aesthetic experience.  I was blown away!


Principle 7: Focal Points Attract Attention

I watch a healthy amount of HGTV, so this is one element I knew about. Honestly, however, I never thought much about focal points when designing my classroom.  And, I never thought about focal points being either interactive or visual.  The book gives numerous tips to consider when designing your focal points, such as utilizing architectural elements, using authentic pieces and creating scenes such as camping areas or an indoor garden.


The last section of the book focuses on the design process itself.  It includes hints for mapping out your space, choosing colors and textures, and special considerations.


I seriously cannot recommend this book enough!  If it seems like I am being paid to promote this book, I am not--I just love it that much!  In fact, while I am chomping at the bit to get in my classroom and begin designing and decorating my new and improved space, I am consoled by the fact that I can look at this book over and over for inspiration.  I am also in the process of repurposing two pieces of furniture for use in my classroom--an old desk from my childhood bedroom and an old wardrobe from my grandmother's house.  I am excited to be able to include these nostalgic pieces in a place I will spend so much time.  I can only only hope that the end result will be a place where the students and I can love learning and growing together.


Update:  Literally five minutes after I wrote this post (while hosting a garage sale), we got caught in a torrential downpour and my book got soaked--as in dripping through the book soaked.  I am trying to dry it, but I fear many of the pages are ruined.  Can you believe it?!!

SaveSave
SaveSave

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing Michele. I so agree with Principle #1. The most talked about things I have in my classroom are a stump that a beaver chewed and a painted turtle shell that Pat found in the woods one day-along with agates, shells, pine cones and other treasures we have found. The kids never get tired of examining them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly, Deanne! And, you are such a good outdoors person that much of this comes naturally to you. I, on the other hand, have to work at it a bit more!

      Delete