Saturday, June 4, 2016

The Third Teacher

This journey begins with a transformation.  A transformation not only of thinking, but of the environment in which we spend our days together.


In their book, Designs for Living and Learning, Deb Curtis and Margie Carter state that, "You must act with intention to make your beliefs about the value of children, childhood, family, community, and the learning and teaching process visible in the environments you create for children."  They go on to say, "If the environment is designed to be another teacher in the program, then your work as a teacher is not only easier, but it engages more of your own creativity and learning."


Well, who wouldn't want to make their work as a teacher easier, while simultaneously engaging their own creativity and learning?  Count me in!


I have long been a fan of primary colors in my classroom.  I mean, that is what kindergarten is all about, right?  Red, blue, yellow; A, B, C; 1, 2, 3 and all that. It has served me well and I have always received compliments on my classroom environment.  However, this past year I moved into a new classroom and while the primary color scheme was cute, it has definitely run its course.  In addition, I have been reading a lot about emergent curriculum and Reggio Emilia inspired classrooms.  It is definitely time for a transformation!



With school out for the summer, it is the perfect time to make a change. Here are some pictures of different areas of the classroom BEFORE I began my classroom transformation.


             

Morning Routine Chart and Sign In Area

Free Choice Storage

Art Easel and Nonfiction Book Area

Science Display Shelves

Picture Book Bins


Math Wall

Writing Folders and Portfolios

Large Group Space

Lego Table

Books on Cd

Blocks Area

Student Browsing Boxes and Dramatic Play Area

More Books

Calendar Area

Small Group Meeting Space

Word Wall

Student Cubby Area

Storage Cupboards

Snack Shelf and Job Chart

Sink Outside Bathroom

Quiet Choice Activities

Charts

Teacher Space


Now to wait for the room and carpets to be cleaned and floor to be waxed before I can complete the transformation.  Watch for the results in future posts!

4 comments:

  1. I can't wait to see what you do with your classroom!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Suzy! I started by simplifying--and boy, does that feel good!

      Delete
  2. Michele, I have also been reading about Montessori and Reggio philosophies. I have been slowly working to transform my room into the third teacher, but due to funds, work has been slow. Glad to see you are also doing this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am very excited to begin this process. Thankfully, Molly, our ACP projects include a budget, which will help me with the transformation. You should check into it.

      Delete