Saturday, November 26, 2016

Stepping Back in Time

Recently, my class was offered a prize for being the class with the most students participating in the PTA fundraiser at our school. The prize wasn't specified, so I asked my students what they would like to do. Going on a field trip was one of the popular choices. I had been wanting to take my students to the local historical society for a tour, with hopes of generating enough interest to spark an inquiry into the past, so this worked out perfectly. 


Never having been to the historical society myself, I wasn't sure what to expect. I knew, however, that two of our social studies standards involve learning about the past, so I thought it would be a good experience. A local resident, who has lived his entire life in the area, was our tour guide. 


We took a quick photo before entering the historical society.

A collection of old cameras was a favorite for one of my students.

The students were amazed by the way people used to make phone calls.

Many students were interested in the trains that used to run through town.

Everyone recognized this old fashioned piece of medical equipment.

Blackboard? What is a blackboard?

We were curious about the homemade kites made of newspaper.
Hmmmm...we might have to try to make one ourselves!

The military uniforms were also popular with many students.

The students were only able to recognize one tool on the tool wall.
Can you guess what it was?

It was difficult to imagine not having running water in houses.

It was fun to see an actual ice box. At least, I thought so...

The students spotted the jars of candy right away!

Our historical society is housed in a building that used to be a community
center of sorts. It even had its own movie  theater.

No one wanted to try out this hair dryer!


It was an interesting and informative tour, but I am not sure the students were interested enough to want to learn more. It did provide a common experience, however, which is one of the first steps in developing an inquiry project. 


Upon returning from the field trip, I asked the students what they found most interesting, and what they wondered after their visit. Here are a few of their thoughts:

  1. I wonder what the houses looked like back then.
  2. How did the people get all their eggs to town?
  3. What did the trains look like that ran through town?
  4. I wonder why the uniforms were made the way they were.
  5. How did they make kites out of newspaper?
  6. What did they use for money?
We also spent a great deal of time comparing and contrasting items we saw at the historical society to similar items in our current world.

I am going to let the topic sit for awhile while I share some historical fiction with the class, along with some journals and other artifacts I found while cleaning out my mother's house last winter. My hope is that this will generate more interest, but I am resigned to the possibility that it may not. After all, in true inquiry, we must follow the learners. 

1 comment:

  1. Being one interested in our past and how things used to work, causes me to wonder what device or non-device will our children, as adults, share with a new generation of "how things worked"? Thank you for sharing your day at the historical center.

    ReplyDelete