Saturday, April 1, 2017

Keeping Play in Kindergarten




The concept of play in kindergarten has been on my mind a lot lately. Mostly because I am dumbfounded many schools have reduced the amount of time devoted to play, or worse, eliminated it altogether.


While preparing to write this blog post in defense of play in the kindergarten classroom, I came upon an article that says it better than I ever could. Rather than share my words, I have included the link to the article so you can read it yourself. It is long, but I strongly encourage you to read it all the way through. You will not be disappointed. 


After reading the article, talk to your colleagues, talk to your administrators, talk to anyone you need to in order to keep play alive in our kindergarten classrooms. Our nation, and arguably our world, depends on it.


You can read the article here.

1 comment:

  1. Yes yes yes... I've read this article before, but it continues to inspire me. I'm currently teaching first grade, but moving to full-day K next year. Our district is adopting a new full-day K program with a huge emphasis on developmental play... SO thankful to be in a district that understands the importance.

    Andrew
    www.kindergartenexplorer.com

    ReplyDelete