Sunday, January 15, 2017

Recharging


/rēˈCHärj/: To regain your energy or strength


Teaching is a rewarding, yet draining, profession. In order to survive in the field year after year, a teacher must find ways to recharge. I know that, for me, winter is especially hard. The days are shorter, the temperatures are colder (a LOT colder) and the students have reached a comfort level in the classroom which seems to spur them to test boundaries. This could also be due to a week of indoor recess, but let's not split hairs...


Everyone is different, but we all need to find ways to recharge when our energy and strength are dipping. The following things seem to do the trick for me:


  1. Finding a way to relax. This year, I was fortunate to take a week-long vacation with my family to Mexico. There is nothing more recharging than lying on a beach soaking up the sun's rays and letting your body produce some much needed vitamin D! However, I know that I will not always be able to fly away to a tropical vacation when my energy stores are low. In these cases, I find other ways to relax and take my mind off school related things. Reading is a big one for me. A good book transports me to another time and place. When life is particularly stressful, I will read 2-3 books in a weekend. 
  2. Enjoying the great outdoors. I am not a self-proclaimed outdoor enthusiast, especially in the dead of winter, but I have to admit--it does help. I try to go for a walk each morning before work. Even though it is dark, and I need a flashlight, I find it to be extremely relaxing. Not only do I get some much needed exercise and fresh air, but I also get a chance to mentally plan out my day. Sometimes, I just simply let my mind wander of its own free will. I arrive home relaxed and ready to face the day ahead. Today, I went out snowshoeing in the woods surrounding our house. It was quiet and peaceful and being in the midst of nature had a calming effect.
  3. Taking a nap. Yes, a mid-winter, Sunday afternoon nap can be just what I need to recharge. 
  4. Talking with a colleague. Just the other day, our school occupational therapist stopped in at my request. I had wanted to share some books I had just received with him. We are able to chat for about ten minutes, and it was just enough time to remind myself why I do what I do and how important it is. Surround yourself with people who inspire and challenge you, and you will quickly be recharged.
  5. Progress Monitoring/Assessing. This may not sound relaxing or rejuvenating, but when I take the time to assess the progress of my students, I find that it inspires me and focuses my energies on what I need to accomplish next. Seeing how far they have come gives me the strength to find ways to meet the needs of the students who aren't quite there yet, and to challenge the ones who are. Call me strange, but it works for me!
  6. Preparing for the next school year. I know, you are thinking--"Didn't she say she was trying to find ways to recharge from a demanding profession?" For me, beginning to think about the next year is recharging. I love to visualize how I can change the layout of my classroom, or how I can find new and exciting provocations to use during Discovery Time. Since I am a person who continually worries about doing things better, it is a time to think about what could be. I will typically think of one or two things I want to do differently and begin researching ways to improve. I also find that reading professional texts recharges my energy levels and gets my creative juices flowing. In fact, my principal recently let me order three new professional books that I can't wait to dig into. They are:



This blog has become a way for me to share what my students are doing, but it has also become a way for me to reflect on my practice. I don't always take time to recharge the way I should. Getting my thoughts down in print has reminded me why it is important to do just that, and I invite you to do the same.

 


2 comments:

  1. Reading your blog refreshes me each week through sharing of inspirations that are centered on students.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Comments like yours inspire me!

      Delete