Sunday, April 30, 2017

Allowing Yourself To Be A Beginner

For the past six years, I have worked a second job at our church as the Director of Children's Ministry. It has been joyful and uplifting, but with my youngest child entering the confirmation years, it is time to move on.  I was looking forward to only having one job to prep and more time for myself and my family--until I saw a Facebook post for a company called VIPKID.



VIPKID is a company that employs teachers as independent contractors to teach English to children in China. Teachers can choose the number of days and hours they work each month, and the curriculum is already developed for them--they simply have to teach the slides presented.


When I first saw the post, I was intrigued, but I didn't give it to much thought. The second time I saw the post, I was intrigued and I began to research the company a bit more. Something ignited in me and I decided to give it a try. The first step was submitting my resume, which consisted of listing my credentials and experience. I was soon contacted for an initial interview and demo lesson. 


After watching numerous YouTube videos and reading countless forum posts, I was equal parts prepared and petrified. I was required to teach a 10 minute lesson to a mentor in Beijing who was posing as a five year old child. I literally almost quit about a dozen times. But then, I remembered what I always tell my students: "Don't be afraid to try difficult things. The worst thing that can happen is that you might fail. But, failing is how we learn." So, I gave it a try.


I passed the initial interview and was asked to teach one or two mock classes--each which consisted of teaching a 25 minute lesson to a mentor in the United States, again posing as a child. Just like with the initial demo class,  I went to YouTube and watched everything I could about teaching the mock classes. And just like with the initial demo class, I was nervous and wanted to quit, especially when I found out the company only interviews about 10% of the people who submit their resumes, that many people fail their mock lessons and that only around 30% of those who do the first mock lesson are hired without having to do a second lesson. Yikes!


I decided to do the only thing I could conceivably allow myself to do: I prepared and prepared and prepared for the mock lesson and I went for it. As luck may have it, I was hired after the first mock lesson and did not have to teach second lesson. Little did I know, this was only the beginning.


I soon discovered the true challenge was not getting hired by this company. The true challenge was allowing myself to become a beginner again. Teaching on an online platform was totally new for me. Teaching English to a student who speaks little or none themselves was totally new for me. Putting myself out there for parents (who often watch in the wings) to critique and rate (yes, that is part of the process) was totally new for me. The reality was, I had to get over myself and allow myself to be a beginner.


I am currently three weeks into this new adventure. I get up at 4:00 a.m. Monday through Friday and teach 3-4 classes before heading off to school to teach kindergarten all day. If you think this sounds exhausting, think again. Being a beginner has opened my eyes to a whole new world--literally. When I arrive at school for my full-time job, I am invigorated, I am ready to face the day like a teacher just coming off a week-long vacation or returning from a teacher's conference. I can't explain it, but it is true!


In addition to the excitement this new adventure has stirred in me, I have also discovered it has enhanced my classroom teaching in other ways. It has reminded me that students who struggle need directions simplified and modeled. Also, as I listen to my Chinese students respond to questions with complete sentences, I am reminded to make sure my own students do the same. Mostly, however, it has taught me that children are the same all over. They want to be validated, noticed, challenged, appreciated, encouraged and loved. They want someone to believe in them so they will not quit, so they will try something even if they might fail, so they will never be afraid to begin again.


If you are interested in trying VIPKID yourself, please use the following referral link: https://t.vipkidteachers.com/?refereeId=4222866



2 comments:

  1. I like how you frame being evaluated and receiving feedback. Negative feedback is scary and threatening, but if presented well, becomes a useful tool for professional and introspective growth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true, Eric. It is never easy to hear constructive, or even negative, feedback, but there is usually some grain of truth in what is said. You are right, it does lead to professional and introspective growth.

      Delete